Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Geurlain Advanced White P.E.A.R.L. Drop Essence | Overpowering fragrance with irritating ingredients


I am constantly on the lookout for new and innovative products that address hyperpigmentation. With higher melanin content in my East Asian skin, dark spots after acne or irritation and uneven splotches of color from sun damage, hyperpigmentation is one of my major skin concerns.

When I saw Geurlain’s Blanc de Perle skincare line, I was intrigued by their proprietary P.E.A.R.L. complex, which, according to their study, demonstrated results after only 2 months (significant lightening of existing dark spots and significant reduction in emerging dark spots). Taking this information with a grain of salt, I purchased the Drop Essence knowing that I could seamlessly incorporate this product after applying La Prarie White Caviar Spot Essence on individual trouble spots and before using LUSH Vanishing Cream.



The product is packaged in a beautifully made glass bottle that is protected from ingredient-degrading sunlight with a white coating. The product can be dispensed using the dropper that is integrated in to the screw cap. Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the bottle, I cringed at the overpowering powdery, floral scent. I don't mind the Guerlain fragrance in general. I use the Météorites powder to finish my makeup. However, with the skincare products I use, I prefer not to have irritating ingredients in them, in this case fragrance and alcohol.

Here's the ingredient list:
Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Propanediol, Tromethamine, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Glycerin, Polyglycerin-3, Butylene Gycol, Polyglyceryl-10 Isostearate, Alcohol, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Citrate, Parfum (Fragrance), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Ophiopogon Japonicus Root Extract, Lecithin, Faex (Yeast Extract), Alcaligenes Polysaccharides, Hydrolyzed prunus domestica, Citric Acid, Benzyl salicylate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Sophora Angustifolia Root Extract, Geraniol, Hydrolyzed Conchiolin Protein, Sanguisorba Officinalis Root Extract

In terms of application, the product comes out as a medium to light liquid with a milky hue. It absorbs quickly into the skin leaving a coating of light-reflectiveness and a texture that is slightly tacky. The product played well with the rest of my skincare products and routine. Unfortunately, that bothersome smell I was talking about earlier took over an hour to go away (or for me to not notice it).

 

Essence applied to the back of hand

Overall, if you love the Guerlain fragrance and like the idea of wearing the perfume on your face as part of a skincare routine, this product is for you. I can't speak to the effectiveness of this product but, as with most items geared towards hyperpigmentation, lactic acid and salicylates will, over time, help to even out your skin tone. I find that patience and stamina to maintain your beauty regimen time and time again is the key to getting rid of those pesky dark spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment